Influenza activity is increasing in Nebraska.
The West Central District Health Department would like to remind the public of these everyday preventive actions to help reduce influenza in our area:
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you or your child gets sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you or your child stay home at least 24 hours after the fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. After using a tissue, throw it in the trash and wash your hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs that cause flu-like illnesses.
- If an outbreak of flu or another illness occurs, follow public health advice. This may include information about how to increase distance between people and other measures.
For more information about Influenza (Flu) visit the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/habits/index.htm