Save Money By Going Smoke-Free
Smoke-free policies are not only legal--they can help you save money.
Make the Change Today.
Smoke-Free Policies Help Reduce Fire Risk
Smoke-free policies are not only legal--they help keep people and property safe.
GET THE FACTS
Benefits of Smoke-Free Policies
Not sure whether a smoke-free policy is the best option for your rental properties? Here are a few things to consider.
Smoke-free policies can save you money.
- The cost of rehabilitating a smoking unit can be nearly seven time that of rehabilitating a smoke-free unit. 1
Renters prefer smoke-free housing.
- Seventy percent of Douglass County, Nebraska, renters would choose smoke-free housing over a similar option that allows smoking. 2
- More than a third of Douglas County renters would be willing to pay more for smoke-free housing. 2
- Less than 17 percent of Nebraskans smoke 3; 85 percent of Nebraskans don't allow smoking in their homes. 4
Going smoke-free can help protect property and people from the risk of fire.
- From 2005 to 2008, 221 fires in Nebraska were caused by cigarette smoking, resulting in over $2.9 million in property damage. 5
- The fatality rate in smoking-related fires is nearly four time higher than the overall residential fire fatality rate, and injuries are more than twice as likely. 6
To learn more about smoke-free policies and to access free resources, visit smokefree.ne.gov
1 Smoke-Free Housing New England, 2009
2 2005 MSR Group survey of Douglas County residents.
3 Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, Nebraska Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System: Smoking Among Nebraska Adults, 2009, June 2010.
4 Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, Nebraska Adult Tobacco Survey/Social Climate Survey, 2009
5 Nebraska State Fire Marshal
6 U.S. Fire Administration, Residential Smoking Fires and Casualties, June 2005