"Flooding", "Blizzard", and "High winds" disasters on everyone's mind.
For all affected by the weather events facing Nebraska, please know our thoughts are with you. You may feel overwhelmed and unsure how to support yourself and your family during a disaster. WCDHD would like to remind the community that during a crisis it is important to:
- Pull together rather than apart
- Seek and ask for help
- Create open channels of communication
- Adopt new roles in a flexible manner
- Take care of yourself. Eat well, get adequate sleep and reach out to your loved ones.
Below the Nebraska Extension Center has provided various resources that may be helpful for you, your family, your children and your community.
- “Dealing with Disasters” http://disaster.unl.edu
- “Dealing with Flood Damage” http://flood.unl.edu
- Nebraska Family Helpline – 1-888-866-8660
- Nebraska Rural Response Hotline – 1-800-464-0258
- Boys Town National Helpline -1-800-448-3000
- Staying Connected During Tough Times https://go.unl.edu/fw5h
- How to help Preschoolers Manage their Emotions after a Disaster https://go.unl.edu/ni97
- Talking-to-children-about-severe-weather https://go.unl.edu/igw3
- Helping Children Cope with Emergencies https://go.unl.edu/nt6f
- Children’s Literature on Floods and Natural Disasters https://go.unl.edu/dz8a
- Children, Stress, and Natural Disasters https://go.unl.edu/z4p4
- Disaster Distress Helpline https://go.unl.edu/53g6
- American Red Cross “Masters of Disaster” https://go.unl.edu/gop9